Pages

Thursday 28 March 2013

My Current Foundation Rotation

Over any other beauty related question in my non-blogging life, I get asked what foundation I would recommend most frequently.  It's such a difficult question to answer because foundation is such a personalised product.  I've got quite oily, acne prone skin so find it difficult recommending products to those with a drier skin type (thanks to all of you amazing dry skinned bloggers, I can normally point them in the right direction).  I thought it would be interesting to share what foundations are in my current rotation.




Everyday


If I'm tanned (though not quite as tanned as this photograph makes it looks!), I turn to Maybelline's Fit Me foundation for everyday wear.  I initially bought Fit Me intrigued, but slightly dubious because of its dewy finish.  However, it just seems to work with my skin!  The foundation sets to a medium, but natural coverage and leaves just the right amount of dewiness to my skin.  It does begin to wear around my forehead and chin by the end of the working day but nothing a quick touch up won't fix.   I love this for everyday wear as it feels so light and comfortable on the skin - see how it looks in this post.


For days when I'm not as tanned, I turn to Illamasqua's Skin Base Foundation.  It provides a beautiful matte finish without looking mask-like or cakey. Despite it being quite a thick formula, Skin Base never feels heavy on the skin...it's an extremely comfortable foundation to wear. The coverage is amazing, and photographs amazingly well (though Skin Base's lack of SPF is something to consider).  The only drawback of Skin Base is it's longevity, it definitely wears around the oilier areas of my face.

Nightime


For a nighttime foundation, I can't see past M.A.C Studio Fix Fluid.  It's full coverage, a matte finish and lasts all night.  I've found the key to using SFF is to work in small sections and apply thin layers of the product, meaning I never use too much product.  Despite Studio Fix Fluid's drawbacks (mainly the smell and how it feels on the skin) I've found no other foundation that lasts as well.  You can see how I wear it for a night out here.  Also, I wrote a guide on how I wear full coverage foundations which you can read here.  


Laura Mercier Silk Creme foundation is perfect for nights that are a little more low key.  It's what I turn to if I'm going out for dinner or meeting friends for drinks.  It provides amazing coverage and, despite being a thick formula, blends into my skin beautifully without looking heavy.  Silk Creme leaves a lovely luminous look to the skin but covers imperfections amazingly well.  You can read my full review and see how it looks on here.  

As I have an oily skin type, I need to use a primer and powder daily to get the most out of my foundation.  At the moment my favourites are M.A.C Mineralise Skin Finish Natural and Laura Mercier's oil free foundation primer.  


What foundations are in your current rotation? Or are you a one product kinda gal?

Love Nicola
xx

4 comments:

  1. Great post, the LM foundation has been on my wishlist for ages!

    Sarah xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely try it - such a lovely foundation! x

      Delete
  2. I've been curious as to what the LM foundation was like - thanks for the review! I love FITme and SFF :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem! I got a sample from Space NK first to see if I liked it before buying xx

      Delete

I do love a good comment!